A Christmas Carol is a great story but a challenging text for inexperienced readers.
These dyslexia -friendly digital resources are aimed at English language learners and/or reluctant readers. They make the Dickens original more accessible without compromising its core elements.
- Elementary & intermediate versions of the story
- Character notes
- Selection of useful quotations
- Short audio readings of key passages
- Reading, writing & listening worksheets
- Background contextual materials
- Teaching notes & links to video & other useful resources
- Free updates of materials
- Bonus materials include two other classic Dickens ghost stories: The Signalman & the Lawyer & the Ghost
Try these samples: 1. Humbug (elementary version) * 1. Marley Was Dead (intermediate)
Key features of simplified versions
- Text condensed to core story
- Elementary & Intermediate versions
- Increased use of line space, paragraph breaks etc.
- Minor simplification of grammar & syntax
- Vocabulary streamlined
- Shortened sentences & paragraphs
- Focus on the narrative
- Extensive learning materials: worksheets, teaching notes etc
Direct quotations remain in the original form - can be used in essays etc.